Friday 20 May 2011

Coming off second best.

Its Friday night and apart from it meaning that I don't have to work tomorrow, it also means that as normal I have enjoyed the delights that are Serrano 14, the location of the Club de Ajedrez de Chile. One of the unfortunate things associated with my friday night pilgramage along the metro is that I always seem to end up out of the prizes on tiebreak (tonight was the 4th time I have come 4th on tiebreak).  Dave won our bragging rights game tonight, and as expected won the tournament undefeated, and as always we enjoyed some blitz slanging matches where the sledging was as much a part of the game as the ability to move the pieces (just as well, seeing as its probably the only area of the game I would have an edge!)
When Dave and I got off the metro tonight, I commented that it was nice to not see riot police and that tonight must be a quiet night... I clearly provoked the locals who are passionate about their education system and the new hydroelectric proposal, because no more than half an hour later there would have been 10,000 protesters marching and chanting... causing such a scene that the riot police duly arrived, and charged the protestors with horses, riot shields and then ultimately armored trucks with water cannons.  I must admit I was extremely impressed by the determination of the protestors, returning mutlitple times and making sure that their message was heard.  I'm assuming that the repeated offendors will wake up in the morning feeling sorry for themselves after coming off second best... oh well I guess at least they are not Port supporters (watching the game, and 10 minutes into the second quarter thay are 59 points down against the Dockers.)  I Its a cracking Saturday afternoon at football, the Demons vs the Saints... a battle which is hardly going to live up to the fight which normally happens between my left and right shoulders... Although I must admit its interesting watching the priority picks struggling :)  The other game, the Power vs the Dockers at AAMI stadium is just a dreadful game of football, and from the looks of the crowd, more people were needed to be employed to put tarpaulin over the seats than have shown up to watch the footy.  Its really sad to see the state of things in SA footy, in particular the club spawned from the Port Adelaide magpies which I grew up following - hears to hoping that the move to Adelaide Oval will not only breathe fresh financial life into the club, but also toughen them up - right now, I think Fremantle would get a harder hit-out from the carebears!

Tomorrow, Dave will hopefully have overcome the nasty bug he caught in Mendoza, and I will go to a belated "dreamtime at the 'G" with some of the Los Santos crew.  Going to be difficult for me to restrain myself from checking the result, but hopefully my Tigers boys step up against an undermanned Essendon.  I look forward to seeing a few of the Essendon boys feeling a little sorry for themselves after receiving a few of Dustin Martins trademark don't argues.

Dustin Martin one had a fight with Superman for a bet.  The loser had to wear their underpants on the outside of their clothes for the rest of their lives..... that is all.