Thursday 10 March 2011

When life gives you lemons, make a fruit salad

I apologise in advance, there is every likelihood that this post will be slightly boring.  I needed to do some shopping yesterday, so after work I took a leisurely stroll across Parque Araucano, saying Buenos Tardes to my friendly Compleato vendor from whom I got my daily Agua con gas.  I hopped into Tottus, a supermarket which I don't think really has a parallel in Australia - you can buy your groceries and a Television in within 10 metres, and on the other side of the store you can pick up an anorak whilst doing your booze shopping (speaking of alcohol, at 2000 pesos a 6 pack, and at 7% alcohol, there is a fiscally responsible argument against sobriety here!). 
As the previous point would suggest that I immediately ventured to the right of the store and grabbed myself a six-pack of Cristal before heading to do the electronics section so I could grab some fruit and veges.  The fruit here is of extremely high quality and so I grabbed myself a variety apples, oranges and stone fruit - all at significantly under the price I would have paid back home.  For example, I paid 800 pesos each (about $1.80) for a punnet of strawberries and raspberries, around 1500 pesos/kg for apples and around 1300 pesos for a tub of Streets peppermint chip icecream.  Hellz yeah!

Afterwards, I spent the evening cooking, cleaning and watching some of the DVD's of my favourite TV shows that I brought across with me.  Genius gets bandied around alot these days, but having said that I really feel that Hugh Laurie does not get anywhere near enough credit for the comic legend he is.  Seeing Hugh play Dr. House raises a few questions - firstly does the younger generation realise what they are missing out on not having seen Black Adder?  Secondly, why on earth did I stop watching House in the first place??  His ability to play a sarcastic, drug addicted narcissist who also happens to be an incredibly gifted diagnostician is spectacular and provided me with a few good few hours entertainment before I switched to Two and A Half men.  Normally I don't enjoy reality TV, but watching a series of drunken sexual adventures resulting in nothing worse than a hangover and a wardrobe full of absolutely terrible bowling shirts.  Unfortunately, now it appears that its not only Charlie Harpers mother who is disappointed in him - I'm clearly going to have to fill the spare time vacated by two dysfunctional men, a kid and a bunch of alimony jokes by watching the Cleveland show.... and that's just not good for anyone!

Anyway its midnight here, and unfortunately for me I have a medical first thing in the morning to prove that I am going to be able to breathe at altitude, so must vamoose.  I hope you are all going well, chuck me a comment and let me know how you are!

Hasta Luego Senores and Senoritas!